For the first time in history, there are now 20 female CEOs in the 500 largest U.S. corporations. Last night’s election put 19 women on the Senate and the previous record was 17. Women are also the majority of global graduates, and in 34 countries they represent 58% of all college graduates. In the U.S., women are earning more Master’s (60%) and Doctoral degrees (52%). Women are increasingly making their mark in the world and are a strong reminder of how determination, strong-will, ambition, discipline, and passion are traits of successful leaders.
Identified by their company’s 2011 revenue and market value, listed is Forbes Magazine’s ranking of the World’s Most Powerful Women In Business 2012.
1. Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook (COO)
2. Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo.
3. Irene Rosenfeld, Kraft
4. Virginia Rometty, IBM
5. Ursula Burns, Xerox
6. Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard
7. Maria das Gracas Silva Foster, Petrobras
8. Marissa Mayer, Google
9. Anne Sweeney, Disney-ABC Television Group (President)
10. Angela Braly, WellPoint
11. Susan Wojcicki, Google (SVP)
12. Arianna Huffington, The Huffington Post (President)
13. Diane Von Fürstenberg, Diane Von Fürstenberg
14. Amy Pascal, Sony Pictures Entertainment
15. Sheri McCoy, Avon
16. Mary Barra, General Motors (SVP of Global Product Development)
17. Laura Lang, Time Inc.
18. Angela Ahrendts, Burberry
19. Sue Naegle, Time Warner’s HBO Entertainment
20. Safra Catz, Oracle
What impact do you think women are having in the workplace?
Wow, that is quite a list! Very impressive. These women along with countless others not mentioned are inspiring to watch. They have achieved what many others have failed at because of the glass ceiling. I don’t think the challenges women face are any easier, but these women are a testimony to the fact that anything is possible. The more women succeed in the workplace, the better the opportunities will be for the rest of us.
Mary – Thank you for reading and commenting. We agree; these are just the women in the largest U.S. corporations and there are many more women making an impact around the world. We have the pleasure of helping a few stellar women entrepreneurs grow their business with working capital! Their stories are inspiring and were proud to support them.