While celebrating this week’s July 4th holiday, I encourage you to take time to focus and reflect on why you are celebrating. It’s easy to get caught up in the parades, food and festivities and completely forget to focus on giving thanks for our nation’s independence. In honor of Independence Day, here are some quotes on freedom from some of our nation’s most inspirational leaders. Before you head out to the grill, read them and take time to remind your loved ones of why we celebrate this holiday.
- “Freedom is never more than one generation from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same.” – Ronald Reagan
- “There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires.” – Nelson Mandela
- “A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
- “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” – William Faulkner
- “Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience good health, occupation and freedom in all just pursuits.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Freedom is the oxygen of the soul.” – Moshe Dayan
- “Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom.” – Albert Einstein
- “You can’t separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace until he has his freedom.” – Malcolm X
Which quote is your favorite? Leave us a comment below.